Thursday, January 5, 2017

33 on the 33rd

I sneaked in one final adventure in 2016, and it just so happened to occur on my birthday.

Back during 30 Days of Biking, I was inspired by my friend Todd, who told me he always rides the distance of his age in miles on his birthday.  Oddly enough, he's also the guy that inspired me to do 30 Days of Biking.  We rode together with several people from Wash Cycle Laundry on April 16th, and I decided that day that I wanted to do the same on my birthday.

Weather permitting, of course, it was a great idea.  I don't know if you're aware, but December is historically much cooler than April.  My birthday last Friday was no exception, but despite the chilly temps (I think at ride start, air temp was 40F) and high gusting winds, it was a beautiful day for a ride:


I didn't expect everyone who rode along with me to log 33 miles (yes, that's how old I am), so I set the meeting point at the Philadelphia Art Museum.  From my house to there it's about 5 miles, and I added a detour or coffee in the early morning in hopes of ensuring a 33-mile total.  The destination, you ask?  Iron Hill Brewery in Chestnut Hill.  You knew I had to pick a brewery as my waypoint:


I hide my exhaustion well under a Winter jacket and 3 layers.  The ride there was awesome at times, arduous at others, mostly due to the wind.  I didn't even mind the hills.  But that wind...I kid you not that I was literally dripping in sweat by the time we got there.  Give credit to the garment makers - my Winter gear did its job a little too well, but later on, I would be glad to have it...

Anyway, FOUR of us survived the trek up the hills of Northwest Philly.  Our reward, some excellent bar junk food (Hey, it's my birthday. Birthdays are for stepping out of bounds.) and local craft beer:


It was definitely worth it for that and one other reason; some members of my immediate family joined myself and friends for lunch as well:


Couldn't have asked for a better experience, and it wasn't but halfway over.  Remember, I still had to ride back home.  One of the best parts of riding up a large hill is that you eventually get to ride back down.  On blistering cold days, a downhill can be a blessing and a curse, especially if you're not dressed properly.  That Winter gear came in handy when we dropped downhill at nearly 18MPH...

I branched off some time after we got back to the Art Museum and headed back for South Philly for an almost exact 33 mile round trip.  You might think I had planned it:


Some said it was pretty crazy.  I just think it's crazy that I biked this distance without leaving the city limits.  This place seems so small to me at times, but this reminded me how sprawling it can be.  It also was yet another reminder how lucky I am to live here and keep the company I keep.

And thus starts a new tradition, with many thanks to all who joined, whether in practice or in spirit.  I hope you all had a safe and happy New Year's celebration.  Here's to another fantastic year of biking.  Who wants to be crazy enough to join me for this ride later this year?!?!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment