Sunday, February 25, 2018

Step Up, Step Back

I first heard the phrase "Step up, step back" way back in 2013 on my second day living in Oregon, during introductions at the sustainable shelter workshop in which I was participating. Its meaning wasn't initially clear to me, but I never forgot that phrase (or who said it - if you're reading this, thank you). It suddenly became crystal clear to me a few weeks ago.
  • Step up: It's your time to shine.
  • Step back: You did your job. Let someone else have the spotlight.

About a year ago, I was given an opportunity, and I took it. I moved into upper management at Wash Cycle because there was a clear need for my knowledge and talent. A year later, our team has accomplished a lot for sure, but the needs of our team have far outgrown my capabilities and areas of expertise. So, I've stepped back, and I mean that in the most literal sense of the phrase:


Because you didn't really think I would write a whole blog post about my office work on my cycling blog, right? I'll simplify it to this: we made a lot of changes, I helped our team work out a whole lot of kinks in our processes, and now we're ready to blossom into a mature business. A lot of work is still left to be done, and there are others who are better suited to do it. I'm better off going back to my role as a front line soldier in the plant and on the bike.

I'm not going to lie and tell you it was easy to make this decision. Emotional attachment aside, I sit here one week post-transition with some moderate soreness in my quads after pedaling around Philly for more than 100 miles, the first time I've done that in a week since some time last Autumn. Even I'm exhausted after all that. My welcome back to the cycling fold included just about everything. Light loads:


Overflowing baskets:


75-degree temperatures. Freezing rain. Old friends. New faces.

Taking a step back was definitely just that, but also the best way to move forward. I'm excited to see what's to come...

2 comments:

  1. I do miss being a wash cyclist. I worked as one for more than a few years. I'd see the same customers frequently and they all knew my name at some point. I even figured a fast system to work with. I learned more about riding shortcuts to get to the frequent customers.

    With the "commercial on my residential schedule" customers like at win win, they would let me sit and wait inside, maybe provide water, and even a coffee. These things are what I liked the most. It beat just sitting in a bike shop all day, at least until I dealt with rain and snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. The winter weather is sometimes unforgiving and miserable, but on the good days, being a cyclist is better than anything. I feel like I really earn my paycheck.

      Delete