Saturday, October 1, 2016

Gala Monster

As a frequent cyclist and advocate for cycling in Philadelphia, it may surprise you that until recently, I was not a member of the biggest cycling advocacy group in the city, the Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia.  After recently attending a happy hour, I was convinced to join by my friends Jeffrey and Ruth Ann.  I met them through working at the Strengthening Health Institute, the non-profit macrobiotic center in Philly.  Funny how everything connects, right?

Anyway, the final push for me to become a Coalition member was because they invited me (and my roommate) to the Coalition's annual Gala & Awards Dinner, which was this Thursday.  I figured if I was going to attend their biggest fundraiser, I should probably be a member:


In case you haven't noticed, I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to these things, insisting on riding a bike to everything bike-related.  The weather was downright awful, but I persisted, and did it in a suit.  Not the best decision, but I survived:


After drying off a bit, it was time to enjoy the experience.  During the hors d'oeuvres and cocktail hour, there was a silent auction with plenty of items I couldn't afford that made me want to drool:



Among many others.  That touring bike was starting at $750.  Woof.

Fantastic food by Feast Your Eyes Catering, beer from Lagunitas, wine from Moore Brothers, and company from hundreds of cycling-friendly people, I can't even describe how much fun I had just being a part of the experience.  And of course, ever the self-promoter, I did some light marketing work for Wash Cycle while I was there too.  When in Rome, right?

Of course, it was an awards dinner as well, and Jeffrey was one of the presenters:


He said he was nervous.  Not sure why, but he did well regardless.  My apologies for the crappy phone camera pic.

I can't thank he and Ruth Ann enough for the invite.  I love being part of this organization and the cycling movement in Philly, and events like these remind me why we do what we do.  It's a family.  Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment