Thursday, May 11, 2017

Plateau-tude

Around this time in years past, The Mann Center returned to my delivery roster. They've been one of my favorite seasonal clients every year, mostly because it gave me an excuse to log an extra 8ish miles a day. I'm not going to be the person delivering to them this year, but they happened to schedule a pre-season meeting that required a ride and a person to be there (me). They couldn't have picked a better day for it:

Far out

The Mann is about 4 miles from Center City, which you can see in the far background above. It's on the southwestern edge of the Belmont Plateau, and the final hill getting up to it is kinda brutal if you're not used to riding, but even behind bars, the view is more than worth it.

It's a bit of a strange area too. The area in the plateau itself is sprawling green and wide open, pretty damn beautiful. The area surrounding to the south and west, not so much. The Parkside neighborhood is known for it's Victorian architecture, but unfortunately sights like these are also commonplace:

Bikes on a bike blog. Go figure.

It's your typical post-industrial fallout neighborhood, but still, there's something endearing about the place. Maybe it's the architecture, or maybe I just like the look and feel of old buildings. I often wonder what this place looked like in its heyday...

Normally when I find myself in a place I don't often visit, I'll just ride around. Alas, I had other places to be later that afternoon so I couldn't do a whole lot of exploring. However, on the way back southward, Hawthorne Hall in Powelton Village caught my eye just because of the sheer scale of the building and it's beauty, even in disrepair. Definitely need to ride back out there when I have more time. I also wanted to see what the Earthship lot looks like at present day, but again, not a whole lot of time yesterday. Not sure when that day will occur, but I will get back to explore a little more. Who knows? I may get called into active duty once or twice this Summer...

No comments:

Post a Comment