Monday, June 20, 2016

Give me a Break

The last 2 weeks before vacation were extremely hectic. I'm not gonna lie to you, they've easily been the most stressful since I took this job.

Things will even out eventually, because most of the hectic-ness has been due to hang-ups in starting a new venture with a new client. Getting large projects off the ground takes time and effort and all of that, y'know?

Most days I've been so busy that I've had to ignore one of the most important macrobiotic guidelines: sit down to eat without doing other things. Friday before vacation, I was fortunate enough to have ZERO setbacks AND enough time to stop at the Art Museum to enjoy a relaxing lunch. Kinda a fitting pre-cursor to my ultimate disconnect.

While I was sitting there, a young woman approached me, riding a large rental bike with her two sons, about 5 and 8 if I had to guess ages. She asked me if I would watch their bike while they ran the "Rocky Steps." I said of course, and they did.


Of course, she didn't know how long it takes me to eat lunch, so she was worried they wouldn't make it back before I finished, but I assured her I'd still be there. While finishing the last few bites, we talked a little about Philly. Turns out, she went to school here and used to live in a row home in South Philly. Go figure.

We chatted for a little while as I cleaned up. They said thank you and went on their merry way, and 24 hours later, I was in Canada, on a boat in the middle of nowhere. I'll likely never see them again, and I don't even know their names, but I'll always remember this. I was more strung out than you might think at the time...

No comments:

Post a Comment