Saturday, July 9, 2016

Go Topless

And in this heat, why wouldn't you?

In case you've been living in a cave for the last week, it's been insufferably hot here in the city of Brotherly love. Even for me. You can almost see the haze in the pic above.

Summer happens to be my busiest time on the job, as you can probably tell by my lack of posts. Yesterday was rather tame compared to the rest of this week, but it still involved moving 400 pounds of linen kits and another 200 pounds of pillows to Temple University, which was thankfully done in a cargo van, not on a bike. Seriously, I would have passed out from heat exhaustion.

I finished with the bulk of my morning deliveries except for one, an emergency shelter just a half mile from the laundromat. Interestingly enough, while we're at our busiest in Summer, they're at their slowest. To keep weight (and exhaustion) to a minimum, I decided to take the bin off the trike for fun:

Fun in the sense that it's not really fun at all

It looks a little weird, right? Especially when you consider what I did with this trike a couple weeks ago... I could have pulled this bag over my shoulder and done it on a regular bike, but that surely wouldn't have been any fun at all. Plus, the trike has been lonely these days. I did enjoy it, and I was pretty surprised how much weight and wind resistance a 10 pound laundry bin can add to the ride. Alas, this likely won't happen again any time soon.

------

In case you didn't read my last post, I missed 8 days in my #365daysofbiking quest, but I'm still going relatively strong, and I haven't missed a day since (that I remember). It's tough work to keep track of everything, but thankfully I have Strava (follow me!). Wish I had known about it sooner.

Combined with #30daysofbiking and whatever I logged before then, I know I'm well over 1,500 miles on a bike this year. Comparitively, I just got my oil changed 2 weeks ago for the first time since November, which means I am pretty damn close to logging as many miles on a bike as I have in my car this year. And I still have some adventures yet to come this Summer...

No comments:

Post a Comment