Monday, March 23, 2015

Rustcycles: 2nd & Girard

For months, when I was living in Northern Liberties, I would pass by this bicycle on my way to wherever I was going in Fishtown, and I'd see it every time I went to the grocery store that's on the same corner.

It was painted completely white and decorated with a sign reading "A memorial for Antonio Sandoval." For whatever reason, I never remembered to look up his story. Until today, that is.

He was apparently killed not long after I moved to Philadelphia, at the corner of 2nd & Girard. There was also a memorial gathering in the park right down the street from my apartment that I'm pretty sure I walked past, because we had a seminar at SHI that weekend.

Right down my street and I had no idea any of this happened. Huh...



Rustcycles is a series of abandoned bicycles and locks I've stumbled upon throughout Philadelphia.

No comments:

Post a Comment