Monday, November 7, 2016

Paint me a Winner

Last week, after watching a football game at a friend's house in Fishtown (we won't discuss the teams or the outcome), I was riding home and couldn't help but notice this new bike lane painted on 2nd Street between Spring Garden and Callowhill.  When I used to live in Northern Liberties, this used to be one of my more frequently traveled streets, and it was definitely in need of one:


Cars speed thru here at well above the posted limit and the police usually don't do much about it, so a designated bike lane is a definitive step in the right direction.  One thing that's perplexing, though...if you look closely at the above picture, you'll notice that the bike lane continues on the opposite side of the street just past the intersection:


I kinda understand, because there's a merge lane over on the left, but anyone who's ridden south on 6th street can tell you that there's a bike lane that traverses the I-676 off-ramp merge lane, so...not really sure what the thinking is here.  I'd think having to cross 2 lanes in the middle of an intersection would be rather un-safe, but in any case, more bike lanes still make me happy.  Sort of.

Tomorrow is Election Day.  I'm voting for the candidate who I can most likely picture riding a bike.  No really.  That's about as political as I'll get on here, but I do hope you will get out and vote, preferably via bicycle if you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment