Sunday, December 17, 2017

The Year That's Been: 2017

Every December I find myself saying, "I can't believe it's already December." It's that time of year when most of us are looking ahead to next year, or looking back on the year that was, for better or worse. Very anti-Jedi of us not to focus on the present, but I think reflection can be healthy. Acknowledging achievements and shortcomings is how we move forward, right?

One thing I personally almost never say is, "I wish I'd done more." There's always the feeling that I could have done more, but in hindsight, I usually look at all that I have done and realize that it was more than enough. According to Strava, it's been over 3,300 miles of "enough" this year. Sometimes I think it's actually too much, but maybe that's why it's fun? Who knows?

In any case, 2017 has been quite a ride (pun intended). As per my tradition, some highlights from this year, starting with the top 5 moments all of you enjoyed (according to readership):
  1. The Naked Miles - Scenes from the 2017 Philly Naked Bike Ride
    • A lot of people seem to mention how disgusted or wierded out they are by this event, and every single year this post wins the readership award. What does that say?
  2. Prudente 3,000 - I bailed out my friend and crossed 3,000 miles for the year
  3. "It Could Have Been Any One of Us" - Thoughts on a tough day for Philly cyclists after an unfortunate death. I'm happy this is high up on the list, but ultimately it could be higher...
  4. Will Food for Bike - Moonlighting as a courier in a delicious barter
  5. Bike Lame - An uninspiring update on the status of bike lanes in Center City Philly (which was updated a day later)
My top 5 favorites:
  1. 600 - Riding more than 50 miles with friends to finish out 30 Days of Biking
  2. The Abandoned Blog - An adventure to the Abandoned PA Turnpike, which was fun despite the lackluster weather
  3. DCing is Believing - Work related adventures in the nation's capital
  4. Go East, Young Man - Crossing off another lengthy section of the D&L Trail, and visiting 2 microbreweries on the way
  5. Tricentennial Cycloblog - The blog turns 300! And I bought a bike for my girlfriend.
Miles and statistics are easy to quantify. What's not so easy to label is the enthusiasm I feel from all of you who ride and join in, and from cycling in general. Words and pictures can't tell the entire story, and that's awesome. You know, the journey is its own reward and all that. But hey, here are some pictures (and intermediary commentary) anyway!

Believe it or not, this was the first time The Bike With No Name experienced snow



 Women's March in January







To ensure I didn't miss out on the first day of 30 Days of Biking, I borrowed my girlfriend's daughter's bike for a lap around the block 

 Later that same day, we rented CoGo bikeshare bikes and rode around Ohio State Campus in Columbus

Next week, my friend Amy and I biked to not one... 

Not two... 

Not three... 

 Not four...

 But FIVE breweries in one weekend down the Eastern Shore of Delaware/Maryland



 I borrowed Mom's bike to ride to Easter Sunday brunch

 ...and occasionally got called into active Wash Cyclist duty away from my office job


Drexel Park became one of my favorite random stops, if you couldn't tell from all the pictures above


 Some friends and I rode more than 50 miles in celebration of my friend Todd's birthday, which also happened to be on day 30 of 30 Days of Biking


 I visited DC in May and rode the Capital Bikeshare from the train station

I returned home the same day, having traveled more than 300 miles door-to-door without ever stepping foot inside a car 

My girlfriend and I took to some trails in Western PA on a camping trip in June 


A rally in support of safer streets after a pedestrian fatality in early July


 Trail riding in Delaware with my girlfriend

 

32 miles on the D&L Trail to visit two breweries in Easton... 


...and finding some wildlife on the way home. 

I braved the elements to ride approximately half of the Abandoned PA Turnpike in September 


First ride with my newest addition to the fleet, My Therapist! 

My message at the Philly Naked Bike Ride 




Black Friday ride in Columbus with my girlfriend

Standing in solidarity with the Philadelphia cycling community to create a protected bike lane just a few weeks ago

 And finally, 'tis the season


The year is far from over. With just over two weeks remaining in my #bikeyourbirthmonth challenge, you know I still have a couple things up my sleeve. I guess that could include the unexpected snow cycling adventure from yesterday.

As always, I'm looking forward to making many more memories with all of you in 2018. Thanks for riding along!

No comments:

Post a Comment