Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Elderly Woman Standing Behind the Counter in a Big City (Part One)

Last Tuesday was a very busy morning. I think I had 8 deliveries/pickups scheduled before I arrived at a senior citizens community just before 8:45, just in time to finish my 9th before 9. I had several more to go after that as well. Anyway...

The note in my appointment mentioned that the customer was disabled, which happens all the time, so I thought nothing of it other than that I would have to go upstairs and grab the bag instead of them coming downstairs to meet me.

When I knocked on the door, I heard her say "You can open the door. I'll need you to help me with this bag." I thought, "Alright, she can't carry it to the door. It happens."

I opened the door, and she was standing near her kitchen. I didn't see a bag.

I asked, "Where's your bag? I'll get it for you."

She said, "Oh it's over there on the floor."

Empty.

Next thing I know, I'm picking up the various piles of laundry scattered throughout her living room and foyer while she tells me stories about her son, her life, how she hates her apartment, you name it.

When I finished with the piles, she sat down near a cart that was also full of clothes and pulled various items out, handing them to me to put in the bag. This went on for several minutes.

I felt bad. It was kinda cute, and I could tell she was happy I was there. But I had more appointments to make, so understandably, I tried to hurry the process along. She was very understanding. If I wasn't so damned busy, I would have stuck around just because.

When I worked in a deli many years ago, there was a guy who used to come in EVERY DAY and order 3 slices of turkey and 1 slice of American cheese. He'd buy a loose kaiser roll and build his own sandwich. Every day. Just to have something to do, some kind of interaction with people, something to keep him going. She reminded me of that guy.

There's more to this...

3 comments:

  1. I had a patient come in the other day. She said," I'll just tell you right up front that there's nothing wrong with me, I'm just sad and I want to talk"
    We saw her...talked and no charged her :) its days like that I am proud to have a compassionate staff and sympathetic Drs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww that's so sweet. Seriously, sometimes that's really all a person needs. I see it all the time. And sometimes I need it too. :)

      Delete
  2. Only aspire to mention ones content can be as incredible. This clarity with your post is superb and that i may think you’re a guru for this issue. High-quality along with your concur permit me to to seize your current give to keep modified by using approaching blog post. Thanks a lot hundreds of along with you should go on the pleasurable get the job done. Behind the wheel

    ReplyDelete