Thursday, February 26, 2015

Like Riding a Bike

Until yesterday, it had been almost a week since I rode a bike. There are several reasons...

The biggest reason is that I took a bit of a nasty spill last Thursday near the end of my shift. I had just completed a pickup and was about to walk out of the customer's apartment building when I fell down their marble stairs, which had no traction enhancement whatsoever. It was the perfect storm: I had a laundry bag in one hand, my company cell phone in the other, my shoes were slippery from the freshly melted snow, and I was psyched because this was my last appointment for the day, so yea, not paying attention to anything else but myself...

I was stunned, but after the initial shock, I knew I didn't hurt myself too badly. I didn't hit my head, I was able to walk away (literally) and incredibly, I only missed one day of work. I should qualify that by letting you know that when it's super cold outside, like it was last week and Tuesday this week, they allow us to do deliveries in cars. It's much easier on the back than a bike ride, for sure.

The one day that I did miss, Monday, I booked an appointment with the company acupuncturist (well, he's sort of the company guy). After trying to "tough it out" and performing admirably, I knew I needed some sort of help to speed up the healing of this bruise. I'd never done it before, but it actually worked! Range of motion was back almost immediately, and save for some slight discomfort here or there, you'd never know I'd injured myself.

So yesterday morning, I went in knowing that I would be riding again. It was...weird. When you're used to biking every day and you take a few days off, I can't explain it other than to say I felt a little off balance. Surprising, to say the least, that I have actually gotten so accustomed to it, I didn't know how much I missed it...

No comments:

Post a Comment