Monday, September 21, 2015

Movin' Awn Up...

As I've mentioned before, this city is rapidly changing, and I see it every day right in front of my face. Case in point, last Friday morning I was riding up to the laundromat when I noticed the newly-adorned facade (it wasn't entirely a surprise, as I saw the guys measuring for it the day before):

Because "Illuminati Coin Wash" would have been too obvious.

From a strictly graphic design standpoint, I hate the color scheme. We all know what black and blue together implies. But, it's an improvement nonetheless. Of course, the place looks way better than it did back in April, before we opened to the general public.

Big picture-wise, I remember driving through this neighborhood when I first started volunteering at SHI back in January 2014. It looks nothing like that today (sorry, no pictures to prove it, but trust me). Gone are many of the vacant buildings that marred the landscape, and in their place are a garden (behind the laundromat) and an open triangular lot that seems ripe for development into a small park. We've also created half a dozen new jobs (gotta start small, right?). It gives credence to this mosaic half-wall just up the street:

It's not a Great Wall, but it's decent.

It reads "Ridge on the Rise" in the middle of the sun. At least in the area around the laundromat, it's true. There's still a lot of work to be done...

No comments:

Post a Comment