Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Revengeance


The beautiful scene you see above was taken Monday morning at Ocean City, Maryland. As Labor Day is widely known as the unofficial end of Summer, and with absolutely gorgeous weather in the forecast, it only made sense to soak up the sun one last time. I took my bike with me of course, but unlike last month, I decided it was in my best interest to take a few days off for a change. However, I did stumble upon something cycling-related, as I always seem to...

As I've mentioned before, even though we live in the digital age, I still absolutely LOVE print journalism. I picked up The Dispatch, one of the free local papers and stumbled upon an amazing story (amazing to me, that is) that was buried in the middle pages, and it just so happens to be cycling-related. I apologize for my lackluster photography on this one, but you can read the article here. If not, scroll past the pic for a brief synopsis:


If you didn't read it, you should, because there's something adorable about small-town journalism that us city-dwelling folk don't often get to read. I can't quite describe it.

The gist of the story is: cyclist was hit-and-run by a drunk driver and the cyclist was ejected from his bike. A passing motorist (or following, I'm not really sure) followed the drunk driver until they crashed into another car. That's when police arrived, and eventually the drunk driver was charged with DUI and leaving the scene of an accident (no mention of charges for the 2nd crash that I read).

Well that's pretty incredible, and the guy is lucky he didn't kill anyone. Considering this staggering map of hit-and-runs in Philadelphia that was recently released, it's amazing there aren't more fatalities. Also, there are plenty more that I'm sure aren't reported or registered (my crash isn't listed there, for example). In any case, it's good to see justice served, even if it's only a small fraction of the time.

This didn't mar my experience at the beach in any way. Just thought I'd share. As always, be safe out there. It's a rough world...

No comments:

Post a Comment