Sunday, March 6, 2016

North Phillies

For my entire existence, the Phillies have played their home games in South Philadelphia. For nearly 100 years before they moved into the Vet, they played in North Philly in two separate stadiums just 6 blocks away from each other.

What does this have to do with anything? Glad you asked. Both sites of their former North Philly stadiums happen to be on my Wash Cycle route. Since I usually don't have time to stop and look around on my route, I decided to make them one of my stops on this week's random Sunday bike ride. Let's call this a series.

I got a bit of a late start today, so I decided to do part of the route via train. I got off the Broad Street Subway at North Philadelphia, which happens to be at the corner of where Baker Bowl once stood:

Now the site of an abandoned building, car wash and gas station.

Fun facts, eh?

I don't bike past here as often as I used to, but I do drive past on a regular basis to deliver 20ish bags of sheets to several homeless shelters in the far north. I used to have a client near this corner in what used to be a railroad station, which has since been moved across the street:

This isn't the station, obviously.

The mural painted on the bridge wall, similar to the one I visited last week, is a tribute to various forms of rugs and/or textiles in various regions of the world:

I've never seen a high voltage rug. Is that similar to an electric blanket?

Random thought: maybe one day I should try to visit all of the mural arts murals. But I digress...

You'll notice the picture says "Wall of Rugs #2." #1 is catty-corner on Lehigh Avenue:

It's back there somewhere. Trust me.

On a side note, that diagonal building (which used to be a Ford Motor Company assembly plant) has been there for over a century, which is pretty damn impressive, considering it's mostly abandoned. This all paints a very sad picture of what was once a thriving neighborhood.

Not too far west on Lehigh Avenue sits the site of the Phillies' second home, Connie Mack Stadium or Shibe Park (which Mr. Burns referenced in a Simpsons episode):

A cathedral of baseball, or something...

The A's won five World Series before the Phillies won one. Gotta love 'em.

A very similar vibe to the neighborhood on Broad Street, but the building standing in its place here is at least respectable-looking:

...and there's a bike lane!

If you're at all curious about baseball history, please read the two links for the stadiums listed above. Lots of great stuff in there.

After these brief stops, I decided to head east towards Kensington/Fishtown. I almost feel a little guilty that I enjoy riding through here as a bystander to so much blight, but I really do enjoy envisioning what this area must have looked like when places like this were thriving:

Whatcha gonna do, cousin?

Sadly, sights like that are all too common in this city, just like every post-industrial city. Makes for some interesting photography though...

Anyway, on to happier things, BEER! I have a long list of places in this city that I want to visit and eat/drink/experience, and I think this Sunday bike ride thing will be my impetus to start checking off more of them. I was inspired to go to Fishtown after talking with a long-lost friend last night and hearing her lament that she never has anyone who likes to venture up there for some reason. A shame. Fishtown is pretty groovy. I miss living up that way sometimes.

So, rather than waiting to set something up with her (which I will, just not today), I decided to take my ride to the Memphis Taproom, which is a small place nestled deep in the heart of Fishtown, not on any major thoroughfare and with a sign barely big enough to spot from the street as you ride by. Great beer selection, and a food menu with something for everyone:

I'd like some food with my ketchup, please.

That's most definitely spaghetti on that sandwich. Believe it or not, I have never had a spaghetti sandwich before today. Complete with lentil "meatballs" and daiya "cheese" (which I don't often eat, but when in Rome...), it was pretty damn delicious. And filling. They already had me at the beer engine though...

2 weeks in a row, this "random Sunday bike ride" has been a pretty good experience so far. I think I'll keep it going. No idea where I'll go next, but I'm sure I'll find something. Any suggestions, please pass along.

No comments:

Post a Comment