Saturday, September 9, 2017

Cyclotherapy

I've been eagerly awaiting this day for quite some time, and not just because the Philly Naked Bike Ride is happening this afternoon. A couple months ago, a friend made me a pretty awesome deal and I placed a deposit on a new bike. Today, I finally picked her up:


She's a 2018 Specialized Diverge Elite, a not quite fully-equipped light touring bike (I have to work on the accessories next) that's much more capable for the long rides I tend to take. Don't get me wrong. My everyday guy "The Bike With No Name" has handled himself admirably over the nearly 5,000 miles we've shared, but he's definitely a workhorse. This fine lady is purely for pleasure.

Her name is "My Therapist," in part because I purchased her at Bicycle Therapy, and in part because riding & writing about riding has become quite therapeutic (as if that wasn't obvious to my regular readers). So now, any time I have a major problem, I can say I'm going to see "My Therapist."

Of course, when you welcome a new bike into your life, there has to be a break-in ride. I took a short 6ish mile jaunt this morning, starting with the Schuylkill River Trail and the Rocky Statue:


From there, down to Center City and Logan Square:


And finally back home:


It's the wrong color orange. Guess I gotta take her back. :P

I didn't get the chance to really open her up just yet, but early indications are that this was worth every penny. Handles like a dream, pedals with ease, and hey, she looks beautiful. I have no lengthy adventures in the immediate plans, but that always changes rapidly. Love to Ride Philly is coming up next month to start. Can't wait to see where we go! For now, it's time to get naked...

And by the way, I'm not risking my new bike on the PNBR today. This is just a coincidence. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment