Monday, September 18, 2017

The Lane Event

Last Friday (and today, actually), I had to run out to West Philly for an errand. Seemed like a good excuse to take a 3 block detour to revisit the new protected bike lane on the north side of Chestnut St. Pretty nifty:


I was here a few weeks back, when the infrastructure and implementation wasn't quite complete. Now that the barriers and signs are in place, it looks and feels a little more effective. It's not without its imperfections and challenges (for example, at 33rd St, cyclists have to cross 2 lanes of traffic where the bike lane continues on the south side of the street), but it's definitely a huge step in the right direction. I can't tell you how many times I've seen cyclists clipped or nearly clipped on this street. Here's hoping this curbs the problem (pun intended).

From the bike lane to the parking lane - on the way back into Center City, I ran into a friend who reminded me that it was PARK(ing) Day. What is PARK(ing) Day, you ask? Well, take a look:



It's a movement to turn parking spaces in urban locations into miniature parks on September 15th. It's spread worldwide over the last 10+ years, and some of the ideas get pretty intricate. This was a neat little sight on the way back to the office, just one of more than 50 that were scattered throughout the city. I would have gone exploring further if I didn't have to get back to work. I guess there's always next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment