Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Happy "Anniversary"

I've been feeling a bit nostalgic lately. This week marks 3 years since I moved to Philly, so you can understand why. I have this loose tradition during this week of revisiting one of the first bars I visited when I moved here. Owing to a frustrating day at the office, yesterday seemed like the perfect day to ride 6ish miles up to Fishtown, both for the experience of "riding it out" and also to go to said bar, Kraftwork:

Because 3rd & Girard closed down...

I got there at just the right time. Since I don't frequent the neighborhood anymore, I forgot that flights are only $7 from 4-6PM on weekdays - truly a steal! Some apps are also $7, but I chose to go with one of my favorite "out of bounds" standby foods, pierogies:

Drunk or sober, these are some of the best I've ever had

I bike all over this city and always try to explore new cuisines whenever possible, but there's something to be said about a place that's consistently kicking ass with a simple menu. I've had these pierogies at least once a year for 3 consecutive years, and every time, they are amazing. Not healthy in the least, and that's exactly what I needed last night.

So, after a flight and some comfort food, I was feeling much better. I decided to venture a little bit, since I don't get up that way very much any more. I used to frequent Penn Treaty Park, so that seemed like a logical ride, less than a half mile away:

The park is behind me. That's the Delaware River, duh...

Some time around this time (huh?), I decided to text my first Philly friend Max to see what he was up to, as he still lives up that way. He said he would be around later, so I decided to kill some time relaxing in the park, and then headed over to the Garage on Frankford & Girard to check it out and play some skee ball. No seriously.

Other than skee ball, not much to write home about besides a vast beer selection, but I wasn't really there to drink. This pseudo sunset was a nice treat as I left the bar an hour or so later:

Minus that not-so-golden set of arches...

I met up with Max across the street. We had another while catching up, and then I headed for home, much happier at the end of the evening than at the beginning. I'll call it a happy anniversary. The timing was absolutely perfect, too, because it's windy as hell out there today and I'm not going anywhere I don't have to!

No comments:

Post a Comment