Wednesday, April 22, 2015

The Cost of Inflation

When it was super rainy and nasty outside on Monday morning, actually whenever the weather is nasty, we usually encounter some mechanical issues with the bikes. I fixed or replaced 3 flat tires that morning.

So you can imagine my surprise/disgust when I came in to yet another flat tire on Tuesday morning:


In case you can't see above, there's a pretty sizable hole in the tube:


So, annoyed, I thought "OK, it was just a bad tube. These things happen." I replaced it again, pumped up the tire and walked into the other room to get ready to head out on the road.

About 30 seconds later, I heard a loud noise that sounded like a gunshot, which based on the neighborhood, isn't that unlikely. Scared the freakin' shit out of me, and my ears were ringing for a few minutes.

Hesitantly, I walked back in to the bike room to find that the tube had exploded, which is more than likely what happened last night. Whoever rode it the night before was lucky it didn't happen to them while they were on the road.

At any rate, when shit breaks or the weather is too nasty to continue riding, the company allows us to rent Zip Cars. I don't like doing it, for a lot of reasons, but sometimes you get to drive some pretty nice wheels, like this 2015 VW:


Yes, that is a DC plate. I made you look good, Capital City...

I'm not a big fan of foreign automobiles, but I did enjoy tooling around in this jawn for a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment