Thursday, June 4, 2015

St. Francis of a Tree - See?

The last few days have been overcast, rainy and cold here in the City of Brotherly Love. The environmentalist in me loves it - we seriously needed the rain. The outdoor enthusiast in me hates it - gray and overcast is great in the Pacific Northwest where the trees, ferns and vegetation appear bright green by comparison, but not so great when everything else in the city also appears to be gray. Riding around had gotten somewhat boring until out of the corner of my eye I saw this on North 19th Street:


Now, I probably pass by this every day on my way home from the laundromat, but for whatever reason, I didn't notice it until today (I also didn't notice the neat old-school post office in the background). It's a nice piece of art ala Isaiah (though not the same). Equally nice to see a dead tree turned into something lively. You can also see the opposite side of an adorned stone wall that's unfortunately cracked:


I know a stone mason who would be very disappointed...but nonetheless, this was a bright spot in what's been an otherwise gray week.

I'm still trying to find the history on this artwork, so if anyone has any tips, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment