Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Nice Guys Finish Last

It's become like a broken record at this point (for those of you who know what a record is), but aggressive drivers are a fact of life as a city cyclist. I encounter several every day, most often when I'm working. Peeps really don't like driving slowly behind a bike trailer full of laundry, though sometimes I question their driving skills when I clearly have left enough room for them to pass. Anyway...

I was on Master Street, not far from our Thompson Street laundromat, when a gray pickup pulled up behind me and laid on his horn. Normally, I ignore these outbursts when I'm working (gotta represent the company properly, right?), but for whatever reason, I caved today. There was no space to pull over, so I pulled on to the sidewalk when I crossed the next intersection.

I should have waited for him to pass and got back on the street, but I decided to continue on the sidewalk. I mean, I didn't have far to go. Unfortunately, a top-heavy trailer, a narrow sidewalk and uneven terrain make for a terrible mixture. Funny thing is, I was actually walking the bike when this happened:


This isn't the first time I've toppled a trailer, and it sure won't be the last, but it could have been avoided. After spending 10 or so minutes disassembling, unpacking, reassembling and repacking the trailer, I was up and running again. Next time, I'll be a jerk, stay riding in the street and save myself the aggravation. Drivers can wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment