Sunday, August 30, 2015

Oliver Clothesoff

For years, I've known about the Philly Naked Bike Ride, since 2012 to be exact. I thought it was an awesome concept for peacefully raising awareness for positive body image, environmentalism and bicycling and wanted to participate, but for various reasons, I was unable to until this year. It may sound crazy, but it was totally worth the wait.

For those of you who don't really know me, I've always been a believer in Naturism, but I haven't been vocal or "flamboyant" about it until recent years. I guess you could say, I grew into it? Or maybe I simply never outgrew "naked time." In any case, I've had several fantastic experiences where being nude was a casual detail (including naked swimming in Crater Lake two years ago), and add this to that list. After the first couple minutes at the starting point, I even forgot I wasn't wearing anything but my helmet and flip flops.

This was a showcase that the portrayal of nudity in our media and our society in general is not what it seems. It is not always a lewd showcase, but rather our body in it's most vulnerable, natural (and inherently beautiful) form. At no point yesterday did I encounter any disrespectful people, including pedestrians. Sure, there were a few detractors - like the woman who exclaimed "Hooooo baby, hide ya eyes!" - but they were not disrespectful. In fact, I saw at least half a dozen cyclists join the ride midway, stripping down to their birthday suits on the sidewalks and joining in as if nothing was out of the ordinary.

Now it's time for some photos. I promise there's no full-frontal nudity:

The ride is dog-friendly!

Representing one of my favorite breweries

Myself and Anis, fellow Wash Cyclist

Early on, traveling on Market Street in West Philly towards Center City

Lots of great messages in body paint

Over 3,000 cyclists on our way to City Hall

Self love

A very creative body painting job

Think twice before you rent an IndeGo, or at the very least, bring a sanitary wipe...

Speeding down Market Street towards City Hall!

Rittenhouse Square

This is one of my favorite moments from the entire ride. These people were practicing cheerleading in the park, and we repeatedly shouted "DO IT NAKED!" They dismounted, the women took off their tops and they re-stacked. Beautiful. Thanks to the sun glare, you can't see the boobs on the woman on the right. I told you no full frontal. ;)

Love this pic. No words.

My message in support of macrobiotics and plant-based nutrition

All beliefs were well-represented, as seen by this Christianity supporter above

Another selfie, this time at Independence Mall

Forget it, Marge. It's Chinatown! Wow. Two Simpsons references in one post.

Many, many more pics and wonderful moments were shared, and of course, some bystanders were more than helpful documenting the event. WARNING - THERE IS FULL FRONTAL NUDITY ON THE VIDEO LINK (including me), just in case you're offended by that sort of thing, in which case, why are you still reading?

I can't say enough what a truly a wonderful experience this was, and I will do it again. I encourage all of you to consider joining next year. You DO NOT have to be naked to participate, and you will remember it for the rest of your life. I know I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment