Monday, April 18, 2022

30 Days of Biking Day 16: Century Marks

As frustrating as the early part of this month has been thus far, I'm determined to make the most of what remains. I had a great opportunity on Saturday when my schedule was finally clear and the weather looked like it was going to cooperate. I made the most of it.

I did get a bit of a delayed start due to some showers lingering from the overnight storm, but a little cloud cover is no reason not to ride. That said, the skies still looked a little ominous around lunch time:



It was also a little chilly early on. It turned out to be the perfect day to debut my first ever long-sleeved cycling jersey:



Cats included for size, of course. This came into my hands courtesy of Rachel's mother as a birthday present a few months back. I haven't had a chance to break it in until now. It's a welcome addition to my cycling wardrobe for sure.

The first two photos above were from the downtown Columbus area on the Scioto and Olentangy trails, about 14 miles into my ride. As I continued on, the skies did finally clear by the time I reached Antrim Park on the north side of the city:


That was on or around mile 25, not quite halfway through my intended distance of 65 miles for the day. I headed east from there and eventually south on the Alum Creek Trail:


This being my first distance ride since December, I was initially a little concerned I wouldn't make it, but I felt fine until about mile 40 when the wind started to pick up again. I paused very briefly on the trail behind Ohio Dominican University for a water and snack break:


I also had enough juice to make it to my only intended stop on the way, Lineage Brewing in Clintonville:



Sadly, they are closing their doors by next Sunday for familial reasons. This was one of the first breweries I visited in 2017 on my first visit to Columbus, and they are also one of the most bike friendly. The beer and food are also quite tasty. It's a gross understatement to say they'll be missed.

From there, I headed south towards home. I caught one more look at the skyline as we neared sunset before heading out of downtown:


Overall, I'd say it was a pretty perfect day for a ride all things considered. Unfortunately I screwed up and forgot to stretch when I got home, and my legs definitely let me know on Sunday morning! I can't tell you how much I needed a nice, long, solo ride though...as fun as group rides are, I need a long ass ride by myself every now and then to help keep my head clear. It also reminds me how in or out of shape I am - ha!

It was also a milestone ride, of sorts. I completed a 100km ride for the first time this year, and finally went over 100 miles on the month. I'd say my second half of 30 Days of Biking has already been much better than the first.

No comments:

Post a Comment