Thursday, May 21, 2015

Rustcycles: Girard & Ridge

Today was a gray day across Philadelphia, and among other things, I saw yet another sobering reminder that it's a dangerous world out there.


This isn't technically a Rustcycle, as it's a brand-new memorial, but eventually it will age and become part of the neighborhood landscape, similar to this one at 2nd & Girard. The men who are memorialized were killed by cars EXACTLY one year apart, on the same street. Weird...

Of course, it's impossible to catch EVERY piece of news throughout the city - I only stumbled upon this because I work right up the street - but somehow I missed this a couple weeks ago. After looking into it, this really is a sad story. According to this Philly.com article, the rider, Jay Mohan (subject of the memorial), was a filmmaker, musician and all-around good guy.

At any rate, always wear a helmet, and watch your back (front and sides, too). And I guess, stay off Girard Avenue.


Rustcycles is a series of abandoned bicycles and locks I've stumbled upon throughout Philadelphia.

No comments:

Post a Comment