Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Beer (Factory) Battered

Germantown Avenue is fast becoming my favorite detour when I have time between jobs. It's absolutely atrocious at certain spots, covered with potholes, vacant buildings and garbage - both literal and figurative. So why do I like it so damn much?

One reason, THERE'S NO TRAFFIC on most spots just north of Girard. As a cyclist, I live with traffic, but any time I can enjoy a ride without it, ya know...

Secondly, I always seem to find something interesting. For example, this old brewery:


Gretz Brewery. Doesn't look like much these days, but it's a truly unique building. It's still structurally sound after over 130 years (believe it or not) and, after a brief "Google," I found out it has quite a history. Read up if you like. On a side note: my friends over at The Spirit started a new column on old buildings, so check that out too if you're into that sort of thing.

Northward no more than a block away is this mural:


You can't really tell, but the brewery is actually across the street beyond the stop sign. I like the touch the mural adds to this area - there's still hope for a neighborhood that's been decimated by the loss of industry, something all too common in a lot of American cities. Did I go a little too metaphorical there? Mayhaps...

I'll definitely have more to share from Olde Kensington another time. In case you haven't had a chance, get outside to enjoy this gorgeous day.

No comments:

Post a Comment