Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Dirty Streets...

Philadelphia, like every city, has many faces, sides, neighborhoods, and the list goes on. Living in the south and working in the north, I'm fortunate that I get to see a variety of them on a daily basis.

Today, due to PGW digging yet another hole to ruin yet another street and block off three whole blocks a construction project, I detoured up 27th Street for a few blocks. Before today, I don't think I'd ever been on 27th Street at any part of the city. I mean, why would I?

Anywho, I was nearing Master Street when I saw this strange little street off to the left that kinda reminded me of the backroads back home:


That certainly looks like a dirt road...because it is. It's also apparently known as Kershaw Street. I have no idea (or indication) that this street was actually paved at any point. Well I mean, it's paved at other parts of the city, but not here.

Brewerytown is a changing neighborhood, but I won't dare to use the obligatory "up-and-coming" term that's thrown around by far too many real estate agents these days. What I will say is that I've been more pleasantly surprised than not-so-pleasantly surprised by the area in the 4 months I've been working there. Why? Because of things like this community garden:


That's the Brewerytown Garden (they actually have a website - this is serious), and apparently they're open for fruit and veggie sales every Saturday. If I lived in the area, that would be an excuse to come back to 27th Street.

These places are popping up everywhere in the city, and it's kinda nice. Who says Philly isn't progressive?

No comments:

Post a Comment