Thursday, April 4, 2019

Park Place(s)

Admittedly, since I moved here, I've been more lackadaisical about exploring Columbus via bicycle than I'd like to admit. Yet another reason I love 30 Days of Biking is that it seems to re-kindle my spirit of making excuses to go to new places on a bike. It's that kind of spirit that led me to find the bike trail to the kiddo's school last Summer, which has now become one of her favorite regular rides:


By the way, Faith did ride again today, so she's 4-for-4 so far this month. Sadly, I'm pretty sure she broke a bearing in her rear axle, thus cementing her need for a new bike, which she'll likely get early next week.

Anywho, rather than commuting via bicycle, I decided to take my car to work, with my bike in the back. My plan was to do a little exploring after work today, when the weather would be a little less rainy and hopefully more enjoyable. It was, for the most part:


That's on the Camp Chase Trail, which begins not too far from where I work. I explored a much larger section of it a couple weeks ago on a bike camping trip. It's your average bike trail created out of the ashes of post-industrial America, paralleling railroad tracks for most of its length, with some at-grade road crossings:


I only used a short section of trail to get to Hilltop today, but that short stretch includes a pretty neat little map/mural (and another more psychedelic mural you can see here):


What's in Hilltop, you ask? Not much, really, but it's a neighborhood I work in some days, and I'm always driving around on streets that feature the Bicycle Boulevard markings you see around greater Columbus:


And every day I'm there I say to myself, "I need to ride around here some day." Today was the first of those days. I say that because I didn't venture too far around the neighborhood, and there must be a half dozen of these in the area. I guess I'll have to go back. I did visit Westgate Park, which sits right in the center of the neighborhood:


I may try to make this little jaunt a regular after work thing. I mean, it's only 2.5 miles from my shop, so there's very little reason not to. I have a few other areas like these I've been meaning to check out, so let's see where this month takes us, eh?



30 Days of Biking 2019 Mileage Total: 66.8

No comments:

Post a Comment