Wednesday, August 23, 2017

A Different Kind of Tune Up

As you're probably aware, I ride a bike to go just about anywhere or to do just about anything. I've visited a lot of places via bike, and yet there are still plenty of firsts to be had. Case in point, yesterday afternoon I spent some time recording music in a studio for the first time in well over a decade, and of course, I rode my bike to get there:


My friend Rob has a studio less than 2 miles from my house, which isn't that far, but the ride through the narrow and sometimes treacherous South Philly streets was quite tense. I've traversed this city with a guitar on my back many times before, but never my absolute favorite guitar, my Taylor 600 series acoustic that I received as a graduation present way back in 2002:


She's a beaut, and she survived the journey, what will be the first of several. I may try to cram as many guitar tracking sessions into the next visit to limit the amount of commutes she has to make. It would absolutely break my heart if anything were to happen to her.

Oddly enough, I arrived back home just barely in time to avoid a rather severe thunderstorm. Said storm has made for a beautiful day today. Mayhaps I'll try to duck out of work a little early to get a nice afternoon ride under my belt before dinner.

By the way, the experience in the studio itself was awesome - way more fun than I remembered - and I can't wait to do it again! I've been wanting to record my stuff for several years now, and hearing the playback (and the amazing tone even with no EQ or post-production) making it "real" feels like a huge accomplishment, even though there's plenty of work to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment