Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Slower Lower Cycling

Last week, I was privileged to spend some time in one of my favorite parts of this grand old country, the "slower lower" of Delaware. Two things:
  1. If you don't know what the "slower lower" means, read this.
  2. You read that correct that a part of Delaware is one of my favorite parts of the USA, and if you know me, you know I've been around.

I can't quite explain why. Maybe it's the beach, maybe it's the laid back atmosphere that's such a departure from my day-to-day life, maybe it's the food or (more recently) the beer, who really knows? Point is, I visit the area several times a year - sometimes for a day, sometimes for a weekend, or longer. Every time, I find something new to love. Last week, I added a few new trails to the list, mostly on a whim. I mean, you can only bike the Coastal Highway so many times before it gets boring...

My family and I were situated just outside Bethany Beach, a quaint little beach town that still has plenty to offer beyond the beach. On a gray Monday morning with threatening skies overhead, the first trail I decided to explore was the Assawoman Canal Trail less than 2 miles from our house (thankfully so, in hindsight). I decided to borrow my Mom's mountain bike for the adventure, as I'd found the trail online but wasn't quite sure what it would look like (my hybrid can't do sand, ya know). Turns out it was a relatively easy ride over a mostly gravel terrain that culminated in a dead end:


After only being on the bike for a little over 15 minutes, I definitely wasn't satisfied. But, there were a couple crossings along the way with some nifty stop signs:


At this point, I decided to make a turn towards the coast to see what I could find, rather than simply backtracking. What would be the fun in that?

My detours led me to the Fred Hudson & Prickly Pear Trails, not more than a couple miles from where I'd turned off. I started the first leg of the trail when it started to rain. I knew I was still close to home, so I decided to head back before things got too serious, knowing full well I'd be back later in the week. A couple days later, I did indeed return:


As you can see, I borrowed a mountain bike again. This time, it was my stepdad's. Mom's bike was unavailable because I roped my girlfriend in to joining me for the second go-around:


This trail was a bit more challenging, changing from roots & packed earth to sand with regularity as it zig-zagged through the forests and along the bay near Beach Cove. Gotta give her credit for being a trooper and keeping up with my crazy ass. I do this shit every day...sort of. Remember what I was saying yesterday about getting people to ride along? Well yea. That's what it's all about.

She rode along with me one more time as we finished out the week with what should have been a mild trail further north of Rehoboth Beach, in Cape Henlopen State Park


I say should, because it turned out to be much windier than I'd expected. It was also pretty flippin' humid, so by the end of a 13-mile loop, we were both feeling pretty salty, and it had nothing to do with the ocean air.

All things considered, it was a nice trail, following the shore line of Gordons Pond and looping around many of the camping grounds, nature preserves, and even old military barracks in the northern area of the park. We paused for a walk on a fishing pier (not pictured) before lunch and also took in a brief beach walk (also not pictured - sorry) before we headed back. It cost us $10 to get our car in the park for the day, but well worth it for just the 2+ hours we'd spent there. I'd go back and spend a whole day some time.

We also rode to and back from the beach several times last week, but that's just an average day at this point, right? Henlopen pretty much wrapped up our explorations for the week, and got me thinking about what else is worth exploring down there. Say what you want, but it turns out the "slower lower" is just my speed sometimes...

No comments:

Post a Comment