Monday, August 7, 2017

More Bikes, More Beers, More Bike Racks Needed

One (OK, two) of my favorite things about living in Philly is the seemingly endless stream of new places to do the things that I love most: riding my bike, and drinking local craft beer. This year alone, I've visited no fewer than 7 of the venues listed here, all within bike-able distance from my house. Yesterday, I crossed another off the list in the Fishtown Brewpub:


It's a neat little spot on Frankford Ave, featuring a small food menu (it's not all that vegetarian-friendly, but I didn't eat there so that's just my guess from looking at it) and featuring house-made brews in addition to local guest draft offerings.

They just opened recently, hence why I wanted to check it out. Unfortunately, so did everyone else, and all of their house-made beers were kicked, so I'll have to go back some other time. It's also a very bike-friendly locale, situated next door to Transport Cycles, which has ample parking and supplies (if needed).

By contrast, earlier in the day, I found myself at Lincoln Financial Field for Eagles Training Camp, which has absolutely NO bike racks:


The closest such facility is across Pattison Ave. in front of Citizens Bank Park, which has at least 3 bike racks that I'm aware of. Locking to a fence isn't the end of the world, but a dedicated bike rack is always safer and easier for everyone, as you can imagine. The situation seems a little odd, because I've routinely seen stadium employees riding their bikes to go to work. I did some light research and the Bicycle Coalition has already acknowledged this, so I'd assume there's going to be progress on this before too long.

Still, it's pretty awesome to know that I'm within riding distance of all of this. I'm remembering the days when doing two things in Philly within a day would require a whole day and 120+ miles in a car just to get there...

No comments:

Post a Comment