Saturday, April 9, 2022

30 Days of Biking Day 7: Accidents (Can Make Things) Happen

I know I'm a couple days behind on posts, but I assure you I will catch up. 

Anywho, after 6 mostly lackluster days to begin 30 Days of Biking, I finally took what I would consider a "real" ride on Thursday, and it happened totally by accident. Your Philadelphia Flyers were in town to face the Columbus Blue Jackets, and I intended to take my bike on the bus to get to the game. Due in part to poor time management and the unreliability of the bus system here, I missed the bus, so I ended up riding all the way to the arena from our home, about 8 miles or so. This involves traveling through some not-so-pleasant areas, but it did give me a chance to see something neat from sports history:


That's what's left of Cooper Stadium, the former home of the Columbus Clippers baseball team. It's tough to tell it was a baseball stadium unless you knew, as the first base side of the grandstands have been demolished. The third base side has been left standing due to a proposal to turn this area into a racetrack, but sadly I've not heard any significant movement on this since I've been in Columbus. Still, I find something intriguing about abandoned buildings and old sports venues.

At any rate, I continued on through the Hilltop and eventually found my way to Nationwide Arena:


As you can see in the background, the weather was very threatening, and even though I was able to get there without being poured on, heavy rain was always a lingering possibility. It's just been that kind of month so far. I'm glad I missed the bus. I needed that ride. To cap it all off, "we" won! 


This was my first in-person hockey game in more than two years. Off the top of my head, that's the longest I've gone without seeing a hockey game since I was in college. We don't need to discuss how long ago that was (hah!).

On a somewhat related note, I've been thinking a lot about all the sporting events I have attended as a Philly fan OUTSIDE the Philadelphia area and have been pondering doing something creative with it. If you have any thoughts, please leave a comment below or send me an email. I'd love to see if there's any interest in that sort of content out there. 

With that, on to day 8 and another weekend of riding (hopefully).

No comments:

Post a Comment