Tuesday, April 30, 2019

30ish Thoughts on 30 Days

We made it! Or at least I did...


It's April 30th, which means 30 Days of Biking is just about over, and for the 4th consecutive year, I've completed the challenge as of 6AM today:


Once again, I wasn't sure I'd be able to commute safely due to possible weather-related issues, so I changed up my morning loop to include a trip to the recycling drop off. 2 productive miles right before work isn't a bad way to begin any day.

But of course, it was day 30, and that just wasn't going to cut it. I had to get in just a little more riding when weather permitted and time allowed. After work, I trekked into Downtown Columbus to take a peek at the festivities going on in advance of the Blue Jackets' first ever second-round playoff game. If nothing else, I wanted to see if the atmosphere matched the buzz I'd heard so much about:


As you can see, it wasn't really hopping at 4PM, but I'm sure things picked up soon after I headed back home. By the way, it will never compare to Philly, but I am cheering for the Jackets this series, because Boston is not allowed to win anything anymore. Ever.

Anyway, those 9ish miles would end up being my final ride this month, as I'm settled in for the evening now, writing this post. Each time I do this, it's a little bit different, and this year was certainly different.

I don't put much stock in mileage other than trying to beat my own personal benchmarks, but one major difference this year has been my distance. This is the first 30 Days of Biking I've completed without logging over 500 miles. But, when you consider it's also the first such go around that I've accomplished without the aid of a full-time bicycling job, logging over 400 miles is something I'm personally very proud of.


I also felt very emotionally different this time. By that I mean this was my first time attempting 30 DoB outside of Philly, a city and region that's still very familiar to me. I'm still not as comfortable around here as I was back east (I may never be, but who knows?), but I appreciate so much more of this area after forcing myself to ride a bike around it for 30 consecutive days. My homesickness may never completely go away, but most days this month, I've felt more positive than negative, and I have a bike to thank for that. I may have finally turned a corner out here.


This is also the first time I've had the chance to share most of my favourite month with a child. I stopped keeping track of how many days Faith rode this month, but I can assure you it was the majority. Coincidentally, she got a brand new bike this month at just the right time.

And with that, it's a perfect segue way to my favourite moments from this month. It's (mostly) all about the kids!
  1. YOU get a Bike, and YOU get a Bike! - After much anticipation, Faith got a beautiful new bike "from the Easter bunny."
  2. Baby Bike (Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo...) - My nephew got a balance bike for his 2nd birthday. We've ushered in a whole new generation of riders this month!
  3. The Family That Bikes Together... - Sharing my first after school ride with our family for the first time in what felt like forever.
  4. Ride for the Moment - Appreciation for some beautiful morning views on my commutes that I had sorely missed over the Winter months.
  5. Roll: Out! - The 2019 return of one of my favourite monthly rides, the Roll: Bicycles Pub Ride.
Honourable mention:
  1. Happy (Opening Day for) Trails! - 25 miles on opening day for the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy, with a completely new (to me) group of cyclists.
And so, with all appreciation and thank you to all of you for riding along, my favourite month of the year comes to a close. I'd also like to thank 30 Days of Biking for annually reminding me that amazing things can happen when a bike is involved. It seems to go by faster each year, but that also means next year will be here before you know it. Happy riding, everyone!

30 Days of Biking 2019 Mileage Final Total: 410.5

No comments:

Post a Comment