Monday, April 1, 2019

Is it Safe?

30 Days of Biking began fast and furiously for me this morning with an 8.5 mile commute. Despite freezing temperatures, it was a beautiful morning to be on a bike, as seen on the Hilltop Connector Bridge over the Scioto River at 6:45AM:


This is now my 4th year attempting this challenge, and I can say in earnest that this is the coldest day one I've experienced thus far. How cold, you ask? I was greeted by some light snow on my truck when I arrived to work:


You might say Mother Nature played an early April Fool's joke on us.

My morning commute was mostly un-eventful, but the smallest of experiences caused me to think that some reminders are in order for the general population. I was biking through Upper Arlington in an area with very little ambient light and no street lights, when I noticed a person walking towards me on the right side of the road. He was actually in the right, as pedestrians are supposed to walk against traffic. However, he was wearing a charcoal gray jacket and dark pants, and had no sort of illumination or reflection that would make him visible to anyone more than 10-15 yards away. Mind you, I had my front light on full power and I still just barely saw him in time to avoid a collision.

So...if you're out in the dark early mornings or late evenings (common this time of year), please PLEASE make yourself visible. Carry a flashlight if you're walking in a dark area. Spend a few extra bucks on some lights and reflective stickers/striping for your bike. At the VERY LEAST, ask yourself if what you're doing is safe. It's the simplest, easiest thing in the world, and it can save your life.

Anyway, back to more pleasant matters (the afternoon commute was warmer and stress-free). This was the first commute I've executed via bicycle in more than a month, and damn did it feel good! There's nothing like getting in a solid medium-length ride in early in the morning. I had plenty of energy all day today, and I can already tell that I'm going to get a good night's sleep owing at least in part to riding a bike today. I'll tentatively call 30 Days of Biking a success already.

How you doing? Did you ride today?



30 Days of Biking Mileage Total: 17.5

No comments:

Post a Comment