Friday, April 12, 2019

Takin' it to the Trails

I don't often consider myself a primarily trail cyclist, but they keep coming up a lot lately.

Day 12 of 30 Days of Biking started out rather gloomy, with heavy rain forecast through at least the early part of the day. Seeing as how I'd be outside working in the rain all morning already, I opted to throw my bike in the car instead of riding in. I did another post-work trail ride that's become my routine when I don't commute via bike. Instead of my usual westward route on the Camp Chase Trail, I opted to head east towards downtown Columbus, which is just 5 miles from my office via the Scioto Trail:


This also happens to be another section of the Ohio to Erie Trail:


Keeping with the trail theme, I did have an ulterior motive for switching up my routine. For one, it was Friday afternoon and I'd just finished a busy (yet good) week of work, so I wanted to reward myself by checking off another stop on the Columbus Ale Trail:


That's at the Rockmill Tavern, which gives me (and my girlfriend) 38 out of 41 stops. One day, I'll get to the actual Rockmill Brewery, but this will do for now. Anyway, the Ale Trail gives out rewards for collecting 4 and 21 stops, and the tavern happens to be just a mile from the Experience Columbus visitors center. Seemed like the perfect opportunity to stop in and collect some swag. Ya know, just in case I don't get to the other 3 stops before May 1st.

The detour took me to the Arena District, which is a nice little area to bike through that I don't get to experience that often. Some of the route also happens to be on the Ohio to Erie Trail:







And my (our) rewards? A couple snazzy extra large taster glasses and wooden keychains, appropriately branded:


Was it worth all the effort? Maybe. Was it worth the bike ride? Definitely.

The weather is looking fantastic tomorrow and I have something big planned for day 13. It may also involve a trail. I hope you all had a great week, and have a great weekend. See you outside!



30 Days of Biking 2019 Mileage Total: 179.0

No comments:

Post a Comment