Tuesday, April 23, 2019

YOU get a Bike, and YOU get a Bike!

I prepared for the worst of weather on day 23 of 30 Days of Biking and opted to pack my bike in my car once again, thinking I would only have time for a brief post-work ride in between showers. It actually turned out to be a mostly pleasant day, and my post-work ride was going equally pleasant when I received a phone call I'd been waiting to receive for nearly a week that made it amazing. That's right, Faith's new bike had arrived and was ready to roll!


So my nephew got a bike this week, and now Faith. Who's next? YOU?

I cut my ride short and headed home to meet her after school to go pick it up ASAP. I think she's a beaut. Or he. I'm not sure. Faith hasn't picked a name yet. Anyway, she picked this one out with a little help from her Mom and I. It's a Trek FX1 Stagger small size, which is just a bit big for her right now, but with the way she's growing it will fit her in no time. Before we left the store, we just had to get a photo to soak in that new bike glow:


She really wanted to take it for a spin around the parking lot, but silly me forgot to remind her to bring her helmet with her to the store. If you're surprised that she picked a black bike, she actually had a very good reason - customizing is easier with a neutral color. To that end, we got her started with a purplish bottle cage (and a kickstand, but that's also black):


Sooner or later, we'll probably get some colored grips and fenders. And a back rack. And whatever else she wants or needs for her cycling adventures.

This is a pretty big step up for her, as it's her first bike with a freewheel and multiple gears. Once we got home, we showed her the basics on shifting and took that sweet inaugural ride:


After some initial breaking in, she really got the hang of it quite quickly. I already know it's going to fit in great with our cycling routines and wherever she goes with it on her own. Who knows? One day soon her bike might be looking like this:


OK, we're not quite there yet. In due time. With any luck, our first big ride together will happen this weekend, weather permitting. Stay tuned, and happy riding everyone!



30 Days of Biking 2019 Mileage Total: 308.0

No comments:

Post a Comment