Sunday, April 28, 2019

From Gray to Great

This has been my first attempt at 30 Days of Biking since moving to Central Ohio from Philly. Aside from the obvious structural differences you would expect me to have experienced moving from a dense east coast concrete jungle to midwestern suburbia, I've been pretty surprised by how drastically the weather patterns change around here. Day 28 has been a prime example. The family and I took a nice short ride to the store this evening, and it felt just as beautiful as it looks:



Side note: this was Faith's first ride in a few days, as she came down with a stubborn Springtime cold that actually kept her out of school for a couple days and beyond. I think she left her windbreaker open so she could look like a superhero to match how she was feeling after being cooped up inside for most of the last week.

Anyway, contrast the above 65 degrees and sunny conditions with how my late morning ride to the recycling drop-off looked (and felt):



I didn't get a picture of the temperature gauge, but temps were hovering around the low 40's and winds were pretty fierce, so I'm sure the wind chill factor was at least below freezing. It was brisk enough that I was wearing my heavy gloves and jacket...on April 28th. Usually on Sundays after church, parks like these are filled with kids. Today, not so much:


Still, with any gray Spring day, there's usually a good chance you can find something beautiful if you know where to look:


We used to have some a saying in PA that it was the only state where you could use the heat and the air conditioning in the same day. I guess Columbus isn't that much different in that respect. One thing's for sure, at least it keeps things interesting.

Two more days, folks. I hope you had a good weekend. Let's finish this month off strong!


30 Days of Biking 2019 Mileage Total: 388.1

No comments:

Post a Comment