Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Day 22 of 30: Locked Out

Three times within the last week, I've forgotten my keys at home. I realize that forgetting one's keys is a somewhat common occurrence, but it's very uncommon for me, and to have it happen three times in a week definitely concerns me.

The odd thing is, because of the way things are these days, it hasn't actually been that big of a deal. To start, I don't need keys to start my human-powered bicycle, so that's probably the main reason I've been forgetting my keys. I also don't need them to open or close my front door (thank you pin pad). But the main reason it's not been a big deal is because I'm simply not leaving my bike unattended for very long stretches of time.

All restaurants and most retail establishments aren't open for normal business, so if I do go inside for whatever reason, I'm usually in and out of there pretty quickly. You know, no sitting down or dining in and so on. My bike stays inside the shop when I get to work. And thankfully, I haven't forgotten to take my keys with me to the grocery store (yet), which is about the only place I'd need to leave my bike for more than a minute or so.


I've managed to only lock myself out of the shop once out of those three absent-minded moments. In an odd twist today, I ended up being "locked out" of two coffee shops in Franklinton that are temporarily closed due to the pandemic. Sorry I didn't take pics. I had actually tried to call them beforehand to see if they were open. When I didn't hear any response, I decided to ride that way anyway, literally because the wind was blowing in that direction and I felt like enjoying a joyride of sorts after work. When not pedaling against the gusts, it was actually a beautiful day to be outside:


When I eventually reached the bus stop, I made a half-hearted attempt to show you how windy it was today. Check out the sign to the far right and the sheeting in the middle left:


I feel like this has been the windiest Spring I've ever experienced, but I have no way of quantifying that. In any case, 30 Days of Biking is through three weeks already. You might say it's blowing by. You loved the pun. Admit it. Anywho, here's hoping I don't forget my keys again for the rest of the month, and also here's hoping the pleasant weather from Monday returns soon.

By the way, it's Earth Day today. Do something Earthy!


30DoB Mileage Counter: 216.9

No comments:

Post a Comment