Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Day 8 of 30: No Rain

I was pedaling through a light rain shower yesterday morning when I had the most random memory pop into my head. Shortly after I'd moved to Philly a few years back, my roommate's car was stolen. When I asked him if he was going to get another car, he said "For right now, I'm just gonna ride my bike and hate my life, especially when it rains."

I understand where he was coming from, and I'm in a vaguely similar situation right now. My car needs a lot of work done to it and I don't feel it's a worthwhile investment at its current age, so I'm holding off and using a bike (or transit) almost exclusively for the foreseeable future. The difference is, I don't hate my life because of it. If anything, I hate my life a lot less because of it.

It's one of very few situations that have been made easier by the current circumstances surrounding our world. As sad as it is that the kiddo doesn't have school or extracurricular activities, there's less need for us to be driving everywhere (this is true for a lot of folks - have you seen gas prices lately?). Any essential businesses we need to get to are close enough to us that a bike will suffice. As I've said before, there may be no better time to start riding a bike.

Strangely enough, other than that brief shower that barely got my tires wet, I somehow missed all of the heavy rains yesterday despite seeing threatening skies like these all day:



Granted, I did work through some very heavy showers in the earlier part of the morning, as seen from the cab of my work truck:


There's no rain in the forecast for today out here, and there will be zero chance of hating my life because of a bike. I know not everyone is gifted with these versatilities, so I'm actually quite appreciative of the opportunity to ride. Happy Wednesday, everyone.


30DoB Mileage Total: 82.0

No comments:

Post a Comment