Thursday, April 9, 2020

Day 9 of 30: We All Go a Little Crazy Sometimes...

I almost didn't ride to work yesterday morning. I woke up feeling a little tired, the conditions outside appeared gray and wet after an overnight shower had passed through, and overall I just wasn't feeling it. It's perfectly normal to lose enthusiasm for your favourite things every once in awhile, right?

I don't know why, and I never do know why, but I decided to ride anyway. When I saw this scene as I neared the office, I was really glad that I did:

Don't miss that super moon in the upper left! 


...and there was much rejoicing. The day ended up being quite beautiful overall, which I really would have regretted on the drive home if I had decided not to ride.

Speaking of the ride home, I made a brief detour to support another local business yesterday. Sideswipe Brewing is just down the road from our shop, and before this whole mess it used to be a regular after work stop for me:


Like many bar and restaurant-type establishments, they are open for carryout:


So, not the most ideal scenario (I would love to have sat there and enjoyed a flight in the sun), but support is support. The bartender said things haven't been as bad as anticipated. It's just been weird. If you've been getting out to help keep locals afloat, keep it up. We can do this.

I have to keep reminding myself of that last phrase, because for whatever reason I found myself feeling a little crazy yesterday after dinner. Blame the super moon, I guess. We're not technically quarantined, but life is still far from normal right now. I haven't been able to do a lot of the things I wanted to do recently (no one has). I paint a picture on this blog of a lot of sunshine and rainbows and the power of positive thinking and all that, but the reality is, this is a difficult situation for everyone. It's bound to wear on us at some point. I can't even really describe how I was feeling. The best I can do is calling it depressed anxiety. I'm sure plenty of you out there have experienced these sorts of emotions over the last few weeks or even months.

That's why I believe it's important to make sure we talk to others. If you don't have anyone else in your home, use the phone. It's there for a reason. I'm thankful my girlfriend helped me talk things out yesterday evening. I'm also thankful I had a beautiful evening to spend alone with my thoughts for a little while on a bike:


And I got to a place where I reminded myself that eventually, this will be OK. Do the small things, and the big picture will come back to normal one day. Small things like riding every day in 30 Days of Biking help me keep my mental stability. If you've read this far, I hope you can think of some things you can do to keep yourself sane and feeling somewhat "normal" in this weird time.

With that, I'll ride on to day 9 this morning, because even on days when I don't feel like it, riding is always rewarding. Have a great Thursday, everyone.


30DoB Mileage Total: 98.1

No comments:

Post a Comment