Friday, August 19, 2016

AWARDS SHOW!

#31daysofbiking Mileage Counter: 329.8

Day 18 was quite rewarding. Literally. So rewarding that I didn't have time to post about it until now. Anyway...

We all like to be told we're doing a good job, and last night I was pleased to have the honor of representing my employer at the first annual SustainPHL awards:

And representing the celebratory beer (not a Victory beer, duh)

The idea is to recognize local businesses and individuals for great efforts in making Philadelphia a more sustainable and/or better place to live and work. Right up my (our) alley!

I was getting ready to leave for the show when my roommate asked me how I was going to get there. I looked at her and asked, "How do I get anywhere?" She said "You're not gonna ride, right?" I said, "But of course I am":

Real men wear pink

I mean, doing literal dirty work from Monday-Friday, I don't dress up much as it is, and part of me really wanted to ride a bike wearing dress clothes for some weird reason. Like I had to see what those dudes who do it every day in Center City were feeling every morning. It wasn't bad at all, but even on a bike, I couldn't wear a suit every day. Hey, remember when I used to wear a suit every day pulling cables? :P

I rode 3ish miles up to the WHYY (NPR) studio where the festivities took place:

It looks like any other building

I was actually working at the event, networking and the like, but also taking pictures and social media-ing on behalf of the company. Unfortunately, all of those pics are on my work phone/computer. If you're really curious, check out our company blog later. I'm working on writing something more in-depth.

In addition to an inspiring awards ceremony and lots of great company, we were treated to some great local grub (again the pics are on my work electronics). The woodworker in me loved the trophy you see above, as well as these wood-burned toothpicks courtesy of Philly Foodworks:

I don't recommend eating these - false advertising

And the ex-homebrewer in me loved this uber-local Saison:

I added it on Untappd

The best part of the evening was, of course, that we won! But for real, it was awesome to be a part of this, just as it's awesome to be a part of the cycling and sustainability community every day, and I'm truly thankful when I get to see how much support we have here in Philly. Cheers!

As for today, I'm about to head northward to play a gig with one of my hetero life-mates Vincent. Can't guarantee any more riding will occur (I logged 9 miles this morning), but that's OK. I have big plans for tomorrow. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment