Sunday, August 28, 2016

Small Town Cycling

#31daysofbiking Mileage Counter: 463.4

I took the opportunity to ride a bit whilst staying in Palmerton this weekend:

We're clearly not in Philly anymore...

Growing up there, I did my fair share of walking and biking around town, but it had been awhile. The town is relatively flat through the downtown area, but there are plenty of hills to the north. I tackled a few, the most challenging being the sled hill we appropriately called "Suicide Hill." Of course, I forgot to take a picture, but you all know what a hill looks like. I zig-zagged my way through the town and eventually reached the top of Delaware Avenue, which overlooks the entire town:

Did I mention it was a beautiful day?

I'd only gotten about 3 miles in at this point, which wasn't enough to satisfy me even with all the hills I did, so I took a detour to a road whose name I can't remember. It runs along the Aquashicola Creek:

Also known as the river of Zinc. Not really, but it could be.

Not really much to see back there except trees and unfortunate litter piles, so I headed back into town. I did a couple laps in the Borough Park:

Which way should I go?

I headed back home after this. All told, I logged 6 miles, most of which were hills, so it was a good 6 miles. Quality over quantity, or something. I actually could have gone much further, but I had a gig with Beer Money in the afternoon, so rest seemed prudent at that juncture.

Back in Philly today and a full day of volunteering at SHI. I'll sneak in a few rides somewhere ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment