Tuesday, August 9, 2016

I'd Rather Be Biking

#31daysofbiking Mileage Counter: 163.2

Day 9 was a long one, the second of 2 days in a row that began at 5:30AM, and not in a "Let's go ride a bike all day" fashion. No, rather a "Let's get in a cargo van and drive all day" fashion. I posted something on Facebook earlier today about the longer-term ramifications of large scale events, namely the Olympics.

The same holds true for events like the DNC, which visited Philadelphia nearly two weeks ago. Due to operational setbacks on both sides, we're still recovering mentally, financially, and physically. It's been exhausting. I finished what should be my last pickups of this godforsaken order today:

I'm going to have nightmares about red laundry bags

Between the last 2 days alone, I've personally moved almost 8,000 pounds of cargo, nearly 3,000 sheets, 1,500 pillows and more all via van. The volume alone is staggering for one person to move, and I'm going to owe my laundry team a round of drinks for washing all this stuff. On top of that, I don't want to tell you some of the things some of these supposed "adults" did to their linen kits, but I will tell you that it starts and ends with trash. I've hated every second of this experience other than that feeling of accomplishment when you're dripping in sweat.

But it probably wouldn't have been so bad if I were using a bike. Long story short, when I can't be on a bike, I'm not happy. I decided to take an uneventful 10-mile ride tonight for no reason other than to keep my sanity. I've worked 20ish hours this week, none of it on bike. I'll change that on Thursday (finally). If I'm dripping in sweat while riding a bike, most everything still feels fine. When I'm dripping in sweat and then I get into a car, not quite the same. I can deal with unruly clients and brash personalities all day as long as I can "ride it out" in the most literal sense of the phrase. When I'm robbed of that, things don't feel so good.

I guess today wasn't all bad. At the very least, I was able to air my grievances and enjoy some fantastic vegan lasagna and a couple of pints with a friend this evening:

Courtesy of the Triangle Tavern

So, forgive the sour grapes. Even as I re-read my typing I realize I sound crazy, but I just...would rather be biking, and I'm glad the DNC is finally out of my hair. Onward and upward to Wednesday and Day 10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment