Tuesday, August 30, 2016

You Know I'd Bike a Thousand Miles...

#31daysofbiking Mileage Counter: 508.3

I awoke today knowing that barring a catastrophe, I would go over 500 miles on a bike in a month for the second time this year (at least, as far as I know). However, this one required a bit of a detour:

To the tune of 5 miles outside Center City

Not quite a catastrophe, but my expected schedule was turned upside down, details of which I don't care to go into here. I finally finished up the first half of my day at around 1:30 in West Philly and decided it was time for a lengthy detour over lunch break. I headed up to Fairmount Park, which was part of my original plan for this morning. It was only about 2 miles away at this point. I did some zig-zagging on the trails that traverse the area near the Mann Center and the Please Touch Museum. My handlebars came loose again (it's time for a tuneup), so I paused briefly to fix 'em. Seemed like a good chance for a photo op:

It doesn't matter what you put behind that bike. It looks good.

That's the Cedar Grove house (in case you didn't read the sign), one of the Art Museum's two historic houses. In a seemingly expected full circle turn of events, I happened upon the other back during #30daysofbiking. After a brief water break, I dropped down on to MLK Drive and rode past Boathouse Row. LOOK AT ALL THE POLLEN IN THE SCHUYLKILL:


Or green algae. Either way, life is finding a way

I had absolutely no issues with allergies today. I wish I could say the same when I go home to visit up North...

I popped up onto the Ben Franklin Parkway just to see how it looked in preparations for the shit show that is sure to be the Made in America Festival this weekend. Place looks like a mess. I'm sure lots of people will enjoy it, but I'm more than happy to be far away from it. I'm past the "music festival" part of my life.

Anywho, this little detour was over 11 miles, but I probably would have made it to 500 without it, because I snuck in another 6 miles after dinner tonite. In any case, detours are always fun.

It was a beautiful day/nite for riding, and tomorrow looks to be a nice one too. Unlike the last challenge, I'll be able to get a full day of riding in on the last day! That is, if work cooperates...

No comments:

Post a Comment