Saturday, August 6, 2016

Finding The Way

#31daysofbiking Mileage Counter: 91.8

I somehow logged more than 12 miles on Thursday night after my last writing, including a Bicycle Coalition happy hour, seeing a friend's band and a last-minute date(!).

All of that aside, what I will remember most about Thursday was when I encountered two people on the street as I was leaving Win Win on Spring Garden Street. They were obviously lost.

I encounter lost tourists all the time, but usually they're only a few blocks from their destination. These folks were in North Philly and thought they were heading to somewhere far south...like Christian Street, easily an hour walk away. So, after calming them down when they realized they had walked a half hour in the wrong direction, I pointed them towards the subway and gave them detailed directions AND my phone number on my business card just in case. They didn't end up needing to call, thankfully.

This might sound weird, but I gave them the card partially so they would know they could trust what I said. I mean, strangers come up to people all the time in this city, asking for money, offering all manner of strange things, etc. How would they have known that I wasn't just giving them some spiel? I figured showing them I was a delivery cyclist would give me some cred. Hell...I still get lost sometimes.

All told, I logged somewhere close to 30 miles that day. Friday was rather tame by comparison, and yet, I still logged about 15 miles. Nothing big to write home about, hence the delayed post - first Friday, karaoke, that's about it. Today will be much more exciting: I'm going to ride to Manayunk to see my friend and blues extraordinaire Shakey Lyman at noon in Pretzel Park! This will also push me over 100 miles for the week. :D Pray that I make it back to South Philly before the rain moves in...

No comments:

Post a Comment