Saturday, April 15, 2017

300 Miles of Biking

30 Days of Biking Mileage Counter: 307.5

I had quite the crazy morning today, amounting to more than 20 miles between covering the WCL route and my commutes. So crazy, in fact, that I forgot to take any pictures. I'm thankful for Strava, because even I couldn't keep track of myself today, until much later.

After dinner, I decided to venture to the Northwest to a destination to be named later. GoogleMaps wanted me to take the SRT all the way up. I decided to take the Ben Franklin Parkway to see what this NFL Draft fracas coming to Philly is all about. On the way, I noticed that the city has added some shiny new bike boxes. Green is great, don'tcha think?

I still prefer orange

My instinct tells me that they did this partially to show off to the anticipated crowds. Case in point, check out the freshly painted lanes near the Art Museum:

And the freshly made cones to go with it

If you can't see the Art Museum in that picture, trust me it's there...behind the ridiculously oversized stage they've erected on the front steps. I'm a sports fan, but we have a sports complex for these sorts of things. It's built to accommodate more than 120,000 people at a time, so why not hold it there? At least we're not Pope-fencing this thing... For a much more detailed idea of what's going on cycling-wise around this event, go to the Bicycle Coalition Blog.

Anywho, I did pick the perfect time of day and the perfect day to do this adventure. I mean, look at this view just around sunset:

You can just as easily Google this view, too

The destination in question? Yet another brewery, of course. Wissahickon Brewing Co. just opened this week:

It's fun to say.

All told, it was nearly 9 miles from home and included a brutal hill at the end, but it was worth the ride. I also had to lock to a telephone pole for the first time ever. Sort of:


They also regularly feature food trucks (as you can see), as there's no kitchen on-site. The ride home was less than pleasant, mostly because atrophy started to set in right around the Art Museum, but hey, I made it! So, onward to Tax Day Day 15...

And by the way, I surpassed 300 miles for the month on said ride home. Day 15 is also going to include a short rest. I'm definitely half-assing this blog post, but I'm seriously ready for a slightly off day. Enjoy your weekend, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment