Sunday, April 23, 2017

Everywhere Man

30 Days of Biking Mileage Counter: 461.7

I was up before 6 and off the bike by 7:30 as I wrote in my very brief post yesterday morning (more on this later). That post seems like forever ago. I was sitting in the Pittsburgh airport at the time, waiting to be picked up to go to my girlfriend's sister's wedding, which was last night. Today, my girlfriend and I were fortunate enough to have some time to explore the Steel City. I feel like I've been everywhere this month.

It's been pretty cool to see bike shares in other cities in person, because it feels more "real" to me than simply reading that they exist. Pittsburgh has one too, and they're pretty similar to most bike shares in the US:

Except they look boring and dinky

Due to over-exertion last night, we weren't really feeling up for riding today. That, and she told me several horror stories involving cyclists in Pittsburgh. I'm sure I could have handled it, but potential injury or death to her was really not on my to-do list today. We did walk around the city for a few hours, and I saw many more bike racks than I thought I would. I can't quite explain why there's a set of three that spell "S@D," but nonetheless, I appreciate the metal work:

The failing bike racks, it's sad.

These are just some of many, and I didn't feel like pulling my phone out every 5 seconds, so that's all I got on that. One walk led us to one of the most unique breweries I have ever experienced, The Church Brew Works:

Sunday Mass consumption

Since this isn't a beer blog (though you might think it is at times), I won't go into explicit detail, but I gotta show you this pic:

My friends and I used to routinely have a reverend bless our kegs - same difference

We did a whole bunch of other touristy stuff before I was begrudgingly forced to hop on a plane back to Philly. I hate saying goodbyes, but the consolation is the awesome view over Central PA:

I think I can see a cyclist

Perhaps an even better view though, returning to find my bike still locked where I'd left it about 36 hours prior:

And with all accessories attached!

I was honestly worried about theft even with proper locking and security. My early and only ride yesterday was a much more pleasant reprise ride to the Philadelphia airport. I encountered some unpleasantries at the actual gate to get into the airport, but I won't go into detail about that.

My flight home was also delayed and I was actually getting worried that I might not get to ride today, but it all worked out in the end. I agreed to cat-sit for a friend in West Philly, so my first stop "on the way" home was up there, then finally back to my house for the evening. All told I clicked off 13.1 miles, which is not a bad way to end a fantastic weekend. I'm beat but it was totally worth it.

Now for some rest and dreams of what's in store for the final week of #30daysofbiking. I've got a strong finish planned, so keep riding with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment