Sunday, April 30, 2017

Add Ons & Add Ups

30 Days of Biking Mileage Counter: 586.1

Day 29 of #30daysofbiking is in the books, and beyond the 13ish miles I logged today, I'm grateful that I finally used the gift cards my aunt and great aunt bought for me for Christmas/Birthday gifts several months ago:

And of course, my Mom for buying the bike as a Christmas/birthday gift well over a year ago

On first glance, it doesn't look like much happened. BUT, 3,500+ miles later, I finally made a much-anticipated (to me) fender upgrade today:

Not just a guitar brand anymore

Even though I think fenders should be standard on a commuter bike, this is really the fun of owning a bike in general - customizing it and putting shit together! Like I said, I feel like you wouldn't notice them up there if I didn't tell you they were there, which is kinda cool too. Also pictured, the neat little rear-mount bag, perfect for storing all the tools, food, and other stuff I need to take long rides, like the one I'm about to take tomorrow (spoiler alert):

Including a six pack

Don't get me wrong, my little duffel will do the trick, but this guy will actually lock to the back rack and allow me to stack on top if necessary, and I can throw it over my shoulder too. Double duffel, if you will. I also picked up a couple small but VERY important items today, a bottle of chain lubricant and a truing wrench:

Triple nipple and lube? Excuse me for a minute...

They cost about 20 bucks combined but could save you hundreds in the long run. Do it. I spent a couple hours after I got back home working on installing the fenders and truing my wheels. Installing wasn't necessarily easy, but considering how often I ride in the rain, I'm betting it will be worth it. At the very least, things went well on the "dry run" up to my friend's house in Fishtown, pun intended:

I'm not praying for rain, either

That being said, things did shift around a bit and I know I need to make a few adjustments tomorrow morning before heading out.

The fun never ends, even though 30 Days of Biking has nearly reached its terminus. Be thankful for the experience, and that we have one more day. Barring catastrophe, I'm going to reach 600 miles in a month for the very first time...!

No comments:

Post a Comment