Wednesday, April 5, 2017

What's HapPENNing

30 Days of Biking Mileage Counter: 79.3

Day 5 was lighter. Sort of. Still covering the North Philly route also includes moving floor mats on Wednesdays, which amounts to a lot of weight and not a whole lot of mileage. The benefit (other than the paid workout) was that it left me in West Philly, less than a tenth of a mile from Penn Park, which is one of the parks on this list that I HADN'T explored. Seemed like a perfect excuse to venture:


The park is part of the University of Pennsylvania campus, and the paved trail around the outside rim surrounds many of the school's athletic fields. The air smelled of astroturf, which wasn't my cup of tea, but the trail did provide for some decent riding and a couple nice to use as you can see above and below:


If you're into doing laps, this may be more your speed. I certainly wouldn't rank it in my top five Philadelphia trails, but it's certainly not a bad way to spend part of your lunch break.

On my way back to the office in Center City,  I stumbled upon a rare phenomenon in Philadelphia cycling infrastructure, the contraflow lane:


I've only ever seen these in West Philly, and it was pretty weird riding in one. Something about the cars coming at me seemed a little scary, but at the same time it was nice to know what was coming instead of having to look over my shoulder.

5 days down already. Day 6 is looking to be gloomy, but let's see what we can do...

No comments:

Post a Comment