Monday, April 3, 2017

It's in The Bag

30 Days of Biking Mileage Counter: Pending Strava Update

I'm well over 30 miles for the month so far, but the above is a rather fitting end to this strange day.

I had a rather good day at work, albeit spent mostly in a car hoofing laundry to and from Swarthmore and upper North Philly, and my commutes weren't bad at all. In fact, it was a perfect day for riding. So much so that I knew I had to seize the opportunity to get groceries while I could. Trust me - if you've never tried to bike home with groceries in the rain, you don't want to.

Anywho, I did an admirable pack job at the checkout lane and strapped a full load to the back of my bike for the ride home, maybe about 35-40 pounds:


Or so I thought. What you can't see is that my weight distribution tactic included placing paper products in the center of the bag, leading them to collapse and rendering the bungee cord virtually useless. I blame the Philly streets for being so damn bumpy, because everything was fine until I hit a pothole about a half mile from home. Luckily the bungee DID keep the bag from hitting my spinning wheels AND my tie-job preserved all the groceries, but I'm sure the scene of me frantically trying to put the bag back on the rack was quite humorous to the average bystander. I ended up carrying it the rest of the way home.

Turns out the weather stayed nice enough until about 10 this evening, when some light showers started to roll in. I had some free time and a head full of other thoughts still lingering from the weekend and etc, so I took a leisurely jaunt up to Northern Liberties, and my former home:


I didn't actually stop at the bar, but the ride was very worth it nonetheless. Day three, in the books. There's rain in the forecast for day 4...

No comments:

Post a Comment