Sunday, April 2, 2017

CoGo-ing Places

30 Days of Biking Mileage Counter: 1.3

I found myself in Columbus, Ohio on day one of 30 Days of Biking, in town to visit my girlfriend for her birthday weekend. I made sure to put pieces in place beforehand to ensure I wouldn't miss a day of riding (more on that below), and she was super supportive. That said, when we left for breakfast in the morning, I noticed her daughter's bike sitting idly in the car port. So, just in case things got screwy later in the day, I hopped on for a quick spin around the block. Hey, it counts!

I mean, the size doesn't bother me that much. It's just not my color...

Things didn't end up getting screwy, and we were able to ride the CoGo bike share as we had planned later in the day:

COlumbusGO. Get it?

It works much like many other bike shares in the US, including the IndeGo system we have in Philly:

This is actually NOT the IndeGo system, duh...

It wasn't the nicest day for riding, so we made a short loop around a common area on the Ohio State University campus:


Net result was only a little over a mile of riding, but I got my girlfriend on a bike for the first time in years! Isn't that the point of this whole thing?

Overall, Columbus seems to be a very green- and bike-friendly city, and I'm definitely going to have to come back to explore some more. In addition to the bikeshare, they also have this neat Car2Go car share, too. And...21 breweries in downtown. We ended up exploring 8 of them, because there's sometimes nothing better on a rainy, miserable day.

One day down, 29 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment