Sunday, April 15, 2018

200, 300, 400, Forever

30 Days of Biking 2018 Mileage Total: 299.9


On day 15, I slept in. It doesn't happen often, but usually my body decides to take over when it really needs to. It was partially by design, as I didn't set an alarm or make any plans. Let's call it a maintenance day.

I did take one ride today, a short 5 mile round trip to Center City to buy groceries:


That little ride put me within 5 miles of breaking 200 miles for the week (which I'm not sure I've ever done), and 300 for the month, on what happens to be the 400th post on this blog (funny how these things all seem to happen together):


Upon seeing that when I got home, I half entertained going out later to push it over the top, but the weather was less than spectacular, so I opted to stick with my maintenance plan to do some adulting and give the bike some much-needed love (derailleur adjustment, chain lubrication, cleaning, etc). He's put in a lot of work this month.

However, on the way to the grocery store, I did make one very important stop. At 11th & Spruce, I saw a table set up near the Emily Fredricks Memorial. She was a cyclist who was tragically killed in a traffic incident back in November 2017:



I knew there was an event going on today, the 1st Annual ProfiteROLL Scavenger Hunt dedicated in her name. Its mission is to raise funds for the Emily Fredricks Memorial Fund in support of safe cycling advocacy, WomenBikePHL, as well as replacing bikes lost due to crashes. Knowing full well that I'd planned not to participate in today's hunt, I still felt it important to stop by and show my support.

I talked with her parents for a few minutes about what I do and how cycling impacts my life on a day to day basis, and I was glad I did. They are such kind souls and I could tell they really appreciate support of any kind. I made a donation (of course) and walked away with this t-shirt, which will make it into the regular rotation. Apologies for the wrinkles, as it was fresh out of my bookbag when I snapped these:



Kudos to everyone who did participate today, and keep up the support. I'm very lucky that I've been able to ride as many miles as I have and experience as many things as I have on a bicycle. Everyone should be so lucky, and that kind of luck shouldn't be taken away from anyone for any reason.

By the way, we're already halfway through 30 Days of Biking. Can you believe it?

#30daysofbiking

No comments:

Post a Comment